Teamwork is almost always considered to be something extremely positive. People believe that if you work together, you can achieve synergy and implement those ideas, perform those tasks that for one person will be “too complicated”. And the advantages of group communication include also shared responsibility. All team members are interested in the overall result, which means they are responsible for its achievement.
However, do all these benefits of working in a team makes teamwork a kind of panacea? Even when working with other people, each person can and should be able to think and work independently. There are not only advantages of working with others, but also disadvantages. And we offer to consider them.
Advantages of working in a group
Here we can point out the following advantages of a group collaboration:
- In the process of teamwork, people come up with such ideas that in the process of working alone, that they most likely would not have thought about them;
- When a team is formed by taking into account all the relevant principles of team building, it will always succeed because of the thoughts and opinions of all its members;
- The strengths of working in a group include brainstorming. The more people you have the more ideas they offer;
- There are no universal employees. Each person has his own skills, experiences, own background. When you see the situation from one angle only, your colleagues can show you some more;
- One of the essential disadvantages of working individually and the advantages of teamwork is communication. The atmosphere in the company becomes better when people communicate.
Working alone advantages
To describe the benefits of working alone we can use such examples:
- Each person has his own place and can decide what to do and when, without thinking about other colleagues;
- A lot of people see disadvantages of working as a team. It’s because they savvy easier and concentrate faster when they are alone;
- Communication may not energize, but vice versa;
- People don’t need to conduct extra meetings to solve a familiar task;
- Employees get to make their own decisions.
A list of advantages and disadvantages of teamwork should be considered when you decide which format to choose. Of course, there’s no such thing as the perfect choice, because for different people positive and negative aspects of teamwork may differ. That’s why it depends on personalities.
From one side, if an employee gets sick or needs to take some days off, the work will not stop, will not freeze. There are colleagues who are in the know to continue. But from the other side, some people cannot reach their potential among other people. Someone will always be louder, brighter, and more noticeable. That’s why you should realize team building disadvantages and find an alternative option.
The best option is to combine. Both introverts and extroverts understand there are more than one advantage and disadvantage of teamwork. Therefore, if you work with professionals, make sure they are flexible. Give them tasks related to their abilities and talents but don’t forget about those, that are extremely changing. Working in a team when you’re a lone wolf, gives you more options for development and viсe versa.